Public training events have their place. If you want to use the opportunity to meet other professionals, network and benchmark against other organisations, then attending a public training course will satisfy those needs.
However, if the primary objectives are to provide a focused, impactful learning experience that delivers greater future value to your business, then in-company training is much more efficient and effective.
Here are my top 7 reasons why I am a big proponent of in-company training:
- The course is tailored to fully meet your objectives.
- The participants all have a shared experience and develop a common languageon the subject matter during the training event. This leads to greater collaboration when applying the skills learnt after the course. A form of team building also naturally takes place.
- The course exercises comprise relevant company and industry case studies and examples.
- Our experience has shown that participants take greater ownership for implementing the lessons learnt following an in-company event compared to public training events.
- The course is much more relevant and applicable to all concerned. Our research has shown that at public courses, delegates only use 20% or less of what was covered; participants attending in-company training use 60% or more of what was covered.
- In-company training is also substantially more cost-effective than public events since you are not paying a per-delegate rate.
- You have greater flexibility in terms of timing and location to fit in with your existing training and meeting schedules.
So next time you identify a training need in your organisation, begin with the end in mind. Sure, Joe in Sales may want to attend a “Solution Selling” public course, but think more broadly… are there others that would benefit from this course ? What if we brought Marketing and Sales together and had a focused industry-specific course on Solution Selling ? Much more cost-effective per head, much more value add, much more enjoyable and much more sustainable learning leading to greater future value for your organisation.
Please contact us to discuss your in-house training needs.